Monday, January 9, 2012

How To Become Happier Part 2

2. Don't Try To Get Motivated To Exercise

In this part of her talk, Wendy Ulrich briefly explains that exercise releases chemicals in the body to make you feel better. The problem is, that a lot of us have, as she put it, "gremlins" in our head that we have to overcome to feel motivated to exercise.

Her advice?  To trick the "gremlins".

Start with small steps.

This might require changing clothes, not because you want to go running or walking, but because they are comfortable.

Then walking to the door and opening it up, not because you want to exercise, but because you want to  check the weather outside.

You walk to the end of the curb to your home (or in my case out to the parking lot of my complex), to see what is going on in the neighborhood.

By this time, you tell yourself you may as well go for that run or walk, as you're already there anyway.

My problem?  Getting home before dark.  I'm not sure I want to go for a walk alone in the darkness.

Good luck!

Update:

To make a long story short, I ended up at the dentist today after a 2:30 am wakeup call of pain from a tooth that has seen it's last days.  I don't know exactly when it will be getting taken care of as it was almost 7:00 when I finally got home this evening.

I did however, take a walk down and a jog up two flights of stairs at my complex this evening - so I could collect the mail from my mailbox on the ground floor.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To The Widowed Connection

Welcome to the Widowed Connection, where widowed members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can read and share in this blog.