Monday, January 16, 2012

Update - January 16th 2012

This past Friday, after working part of my shift at school I went to the dentist for a four hour procedure.  What started out as one root canal turned into two root canals and a retreat of a root canal in addition to the two.

I still need to have the other tooth removed, but I'm waiting until I'm healed from this round.

This was somewhat of a traumatic experience for me, and I've had root canals before.

I won't go into too many details (rather gory), but it involved using a laser to burn gum tissue to get to the cavity in the teeth.  There was a lot of it that I felt, and smelled from the procedure.

I did stop by work on my way home to make sure everything was okay there, and on the drive home a thought crossed my mind:  I wonder if the Savior experienced any of this pain and trauma during the atonement?

With the combination of ibuprofen and hydrocodone (thank you, Heavenly Father, for pain meds) that thought got lost.

Until Sunday, when during the Sacrament hymn, the thought was brought back to remembrance and the answer was given.

While singing Behold The Great Redeemer Die, hymn 191, second verse:

"While guilty men his pains deride,
They pierce his hands and feet and side;
And with insulting scoffs and scorns,
They crown his head with plaited thorns.

Although in agony he hung,
Nor murm'ring word escaped his tongue.
His high commission to fulfill,
He magnified his Father's will."

The answer was yes.  He felt the pain that I went through, and experienced the trauma that I went through, and did it so He could succor me and others like me with peace and healing.  He couldn't remove the pain, but He could help me get through it.

"Father, from me remove this cup.
Yet, if thou wilt, I'll drink it up.
I've done the work thou gavest me,
Receive my spirit unto thee."

Yes, He did the work of the Father, because He loved us so much He was willing to endure excruciating pain to help each of us get through our pain.  Physical pain, emotional pain, spiritual pain.

My heart sorrowed, because I'm sure I've caused Him a lot of grief and pain in the course of my journey in mortality.  How grateful I am that He is still willing to help me despite this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To The Widowed Connection

Welcome to the Widowed Connection, where widowed members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can read and share in this blog.