Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Your Personal Best

Yes, it's that time of year again to set some goals.  Have you set up lofty ones you will fail at, or have you given up entirely?  I was in the latter camp until this year.

When I ran cross country and track in high school, there were other runners who were a lot faster than I was.  I learned a lot of things with the long distance running, though, and one of those was to not compare myself against others, but to compare my running times against my previous running times.  It was called getting your "personal best".

So what is my personal best?  What is yours?

Without a benchmark like this, you don't know if you're gaining or losing ground with whatever it is you are doing.

For me?  It comes from a source I used long ago, and am starting to re-use again.  I'm wondering if more widows should do the same?  Should we create a system to track our personal best and set goals?

I'm thinking yes.

The source I am using?  The Young Women Personal Progress for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Who says it's only for Young Women?

I sat down on Sunday to look over the Young Women Personal Progress Booklet.  I purchased it, along with a small, matching journal, at the Church's Distribution Center in Mesa.  You might, however, be able to get one free through your Bishop.

The Church also has this one online:  Young Women Personal Progress and when you log in using your lds.org account, it becomes interactive, meaning you can actually enter things in there and save them.

The first question is:  do we stick with the same Young Women Values or do we change a few things to make it more pertinent to widows?

Here were my thoughts:

Faith
Divine Nature
Eternal Nature of Marriage
Individual Worth
Knowledge
Good Works
Enduring Enjoying To The End

I'm still working on this, but I would love to hear from anyone else with ideas and suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome To The Widowed Connection

Welcome to the Widowed Connection, where widowed members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can read and share in this blog.